Welcome to our Website!
Essential Information at a Glance
Stage of Development:
FORMING; pioneering phase; eleven members, 5 adults and one brand new baby residing on the land. Meet us on the Who's Who page.
- 480 acres: 160 acres (fenced) for residences, commons and agriculture, 320 preserved for wildlife and buffer.
- Location: San Luis Valley, South Central Colorado
- Altitude: 8,000+ ft above sea level
- Please note: joining involves building your own home here.
- Three unfinished common buildings; and two residences in progress, 1+ mile of private road off the nearest County road (both unpaved); off-grid solar power, 160 acres fenced to keep free range grazing cattle off the land to be developed.
- Coyotes, antelope, elk, rabbit, hawks, eagles, fox, chipmunks, mice, bats and other small mammals and birds. (Bear, mountain lion, mountain sheep, bobcats - in nearby mountains.)
- EarthArt Village a Cooperative Association (AKA a Mutual Benefit Association), owns and manages the property and improvements. Members purchase shares in the cooperative in order to build and live at EarthArt, and to participate in decision-making. Governing body: Board of Directors, currently 3 Directors; consensus decision-making, with input from all.
EarthArt Village Membership:
- visiting EarthArt Village
- completion of Exploring and Applying Membership steps
- the purchase of shares (two shares minimum), allows members to build and occupy a home at EarthArt, and goes toward land payment, a reserve fund and starter fund for homesite infrastructure (driveway, wells, sanitation or power)
- monthly dues (note payments, commons maintenance and supplies, administrative expenses and development of common infrastructure projects selected by members).
- May - October: Appointment Required - See information on how to arrange a visit, and current projects and activities.
- Limited opportunities in this remote, rural locale means prospective members need independent means to get started. Agriculture, cottage industries, recreational and educational programs and retreats are envisioned for income earning at EarthArt, and will be dependent upon the interests, energy and talents of members.
EarthArt Village (EAV) was created to fulfill a vision of living and demonstrating sustainable community, in all its aspects. The scope envisioned for EarthArt Village is that of a small scale homesteading project that embodies the principles and demonstrates the practices of sustainable "village" life to the benefit of its members and to others locally, bioregionally and beyond.
All Contents Copyright
please contact us
for permission to use
64001 County Road DD
Moffat CO 81143
This site best viewed
at 1028 pixels wide